Standing majestically with its modern urban design, Royal Selangor Visitor Centre is an awarding-winning go-to place to experience pewter, both as a beautiful piece to be admired and as a craft. Explore the events that will put you in the thick of the tin rush in colonial Malaya, and the founding in 1885 of Royal Selangor, maker of the world’s finest pewter.
What to Expect?
Uncover the secrets of pewtersmithing through stimulating exhibits on the nature of pewter and exciting craft workshops. Indulge in our vast range of quality pewterware, or fine jewellery by Selberan and sterling silver by Comyns, Royal Selangor’s sister brands.
Recognised as one of the top tourist attractions in Kuala Lumpur, the visitor centre has won multiple awards.
The center is divided into several galleries and the main highlights include:
- The Workshop/Foundry – Use traditional tools to craft your own pewter and bring home your own masterpiece
- Live demos – Watch how pewter casting, polishing, assembling, crafting and engraving is done
- Museum exhibits – Tells the history of pewter and the story of the modern-day pewter industry in Malaysia
- The Comyns Archive – Contains over 35,000 artifacts from one of the oldest silversmiths from the United Kingdom, whose hallmark can be traced to 1645.
- Science Discovery Gallery – Learn about the properties and applications of pewter material.
- Giant Tankard – World’s largest pewter tankard.
- Petronas Twin Towers replica – Made of 7,000 individual tankards, museum exhibits and live demos on pewter crafting.
- Chamber of Chimes – Hear the different sounds produced by pewter chimes.
- Hall of Finishes – Touch and feel the different types of pewter textures
- Cafeteria - A nice and cosy cafeteria to wind down your day after the visit.
Robi Barmawantoin the last week
We had a guided tour there, start from the museum and ended by workshop to try making a bowl. Nice experience. Oh there is also a souvenir shop available before you exit the building
CH Ha week ago
Our family visit to the Royal Selangor Visitor Centre in June 2023 was a brilliant blend of learning, crafting, and tasty treats. The tour, led by the knowledgeable and warm Ms Chan, provided us with a seamless and insightful journey into the world of pewter.
A standout experience was the "Schools of Hard Knocks" workshop, excellently facilitated by Mr Hafiz. His guidance allowed our children to craft their own pewter bowls, which was both educational and fun, making the experience truly unforgettable.
Even with so much to offer, the tour fits conveniently into a 1-2 hour slot, making it a perfect day trip for all ages. We wrapped up our visit at The Cafe, where we enjoyed delicious coffee and pastries, the perfect end to a memorable day.
Overall, the Royal Selangor Visitor Centre proved to be an ideal family destination with great educational activities and delicious food. We're already excited for our next visit and highly recommend it to others!
Sylvia Lim Chui Wha2 months ago
Nice place! Very interesting. Introduced pewter in an interactive way. Can see different shape of pewter and also the process. Not too big. Just nice size to visit.
Afidatul Faezah11 months ago
Very stress relieving(?). Perfect place for trips (school, company, etc). Not many people (which is sad because there should be more). Entry is free and the guide is friendly. She explained things thoroughly. You can sign up for class as well here and make your own pewter bowl.
Make sure to follow the instructor accordingly and don't rush when making your own pewter bowl!
Bkjab Litherlandin the last week
This is a must do. The museum tour was great. The walk through watching people working the pewter was very informative. Also did the foundry which was amazing working with the pewter. Spent over 4 hours here but could be done quicker lunch at Cafe was delicious.
No More Review